Insurance helps minimize the negative impacts of losses. While insurance is a reactive solution, it is always better – whenever possible – to avoid this type of events. Some risks are inevitable, but others can be minimized by taking preventative measures.
Here is some advice to help minimize the main risks to your car, home and business:
Preventing car theft
- Equip your car with an anti-theft device.
- Lock your doors at all times.
- Do not leave valuables in plain sight.
- Park with your wheels turned sharply and apply the emergency brake to prevent thieves from towing your car.
- Avoid leaving your registration certificate and proof of insurance in your car.
- Make sure electronic accessories (like GPS chargers) cannot be seen through your car windows.
- Park your car in well-lit areas and as close as possible to your home.
- Have the main parts of your car engraved to prevent their resale.
Preventing theft in your home
- Equip your home with centrally monitored alarm system
- Indicate its presence by displaying alarm system stickers on the windows and doors.
- Do not leave valuables near doors and windows, so that they can’t be seen from the outside.
- Do not keep extremely valuable property at home (e.g. jewellery or fur).
- Always lock your doors and windows when you leave.
- Do not leave lights permanently on when you’re gone; get timer-switch lights instead.
- Install smoke detectors, make sure they are functioning and replace the batteries at least once a year.
- Do not leave candles burning in an unsupervised room.
- Do not light candles near flammable material (like curtains).
- Do not leave your stove or oven unattended when cooking, and unplug all cooking appliances (fryer, toaster, etc.) after use.
Preventing theft in your business
- Install an alarm system or mechanical protection (security bars, metallic shutters, etc.) in your office.
- Keep very little cash in registers.
- In case of high risk of theft, install a video surveillance system.
Your insurance broker will be glad to answer any question you may have about risk prevention.