Déclarer un sinistre | Claim Procedure | Lussier Dale Parizeau

What to do

You have suffered a loss and need to act fast? Here are some tips and advice to follow in case of accident or damage to your home or business.



Call the authorities

Whether it’s the police, fire department or an ambulance – first call the appropriate emergency services to make sure everyone is safe.


Prevent damage from worsening

If you can safely do something to contain the damage, then do so. For example, if a pipe bursts and floods your store, you can shut off the water, remove the valuables and cordon off the affected area.


Document the incident.

Do note the date, time and the coordinates of any people present; do not hesitate to take photos as they might prove to be useful at a future date.

Additionally, do not admit fault or responsibility before the investigation is completed.


Contact your insurance broker

Contact your Lussier Dale Parizeau broker as soon as possible. They will be able to:
• Tell you what you’re covered for under your policy;
• Indicate the procedure to follow;
• Offer you indispensable advice;
• Answer your questions;
• Refer you to a claims adjuster.


Keep all your invoices.

If you need to make any emergency repairs or purchases, make sure to keep all proofs of purchase.


Additional advice depending on the nature of the sinister


What to do in case of a car accident:

Get an automobile accident report from the police if:

  • one or more persons are injured;
  • one seems drunk;
  • one of the vehicles looks like it’s too damaged to be driven.

If you do not call the police, you must still take down all the important details about the accident.

If you have a Joint Report of Automobile Accident, fill it out with the other people involved in the accident.

If you do not have this document on hand, you must still get:

  • the contact information of the other driver(s) and witness(es),
  • the license plate and driver’s license numbers, and the name and number of the insurer of the other vehicle(s) involved;
  • the date, time, place and circumstances under which the accident happened;
  • the position of the vehicles and details of the collision.

Call your broker before making any repairs to your vehicle, unless emergency repairs are needed to move it out of the way.


What to do in the event of a loss in your home:

If a police report is filed, write down its number.

Don’t get rid of your damaged property right away.

  • unless they pose a health risk.
  • make a list of all your belongings and take photos of the damage.
  • wait until your claims adjuster assesses the damage and gives you the go-ahead before getting rid of your damaged property.

In order to speed up the claims process, try to find any proof of ownership of your damaged property (receipts, contracts, warrantees, etc.).


What to do in the event of a loss in your company:

  • Make sure everyone on the premises is out of harm’s way.
  • If you are the victim of fraud, theft or vandalism, then it is imperative that you get a police report.




Your email address will not be published.
Required fields are marked with *